Don’t Get Tricked, Check the License
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Breanna Bang, Public Information Liaison
AZ ROC: Don't Get Tricked, Check the License
PHOENIX, Ariz., (October 21, 2020) - Arizonans looking to remodel or make home repairs this Fall should be wary of deals that seem too sweet (like candy, get it?). Arizona Registrar of Contractors (AZ ROC) reminds home and property owners not to get tricked by unlicensed tricksters this Halloween.
Whether it's a door-to-door solicitor, a Facebook advertisement or a suggestion from a friend, AZ ROC reminds home and property owners that regardless of the referral source, to check the license before hiring a contractor at www.roc.az.gov or by giving the Agency a call at 1-877-692-9762.
When choosing a licensed contractor, one of the main benefits is the ability to use AZ ROC's free administrative complaint process to resolve issues around workmanship, if something should go wrong during the project.
AZ ROC also reminds home and property owners that if the entire cost of the project, including labor and materials is over $1,000, or requires a permit by the local municipality, Arizona law requires the person or business performing the work to be licensed.
Before hiring a contractor:
- Ensure you understand the scope of the project and what is entailed.
- Get estimates from at least three licensed contractors.
- Check the license at www.roc.az.gov using the free contractor search of over 40,000 licensed companies and make sure it is current on the day you sign the contract.
- Don't make hurried decisions about your home or property.
- Don't let a door-to-door solicitor talk you into taking action without doing your research.
- Don't pay in cash or sign over an insurance check.
When getting estimates or choosing a contractor for a project, always ask if the contractor is licensed and check the license number using the contractor search at www.roc.az.gov, or by giving the Agency a call at 1-877-692-9762 (1-877-MY-AZROC).