FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sunday, Jan. 24, 2021
Breanna Bang, Public Information Liaison
AZ ROC: Homeowners will be Learning of Leaky Roofs as Rain and Snow Settles in Over Arizona
PHOENIX, Ariz., (Jan. 24, 2021) - Arizona is finally receiving rain and snow after the non monsoon of 2020 and the Arizona Registrar of Contractors (AZ ROC) knows with rain, some homeowners are going to realize they need roof repairs or other repair work done around their home.
First, AZ ROC wants you to know as a homeowner that you should never make a hurried decision about your home. Leaks are often realized after you see new dark spots or sagging drywall and paint on the ceiling. Your home is likely not the only one where a leak has been found and many roofing companies have work lined up weeks in advance. Please be patient and if able to safely do so, stretch tarp out over your roof in an attempt to curb further damage.
Second, the search for a properly licensed contractor should always start with AZ ROC’s Contractor Search at www.roc.az.gov. On the Contractor Search, you can search and sort by classification and city and then look at each individual contractor’s record to see any complaints filed within the last two years, where the agency was able to verify some of the allegations in the complaint.
Other tips include:
- Ensure you understand the scope of the project and what is entailed.
- Get estimates from at least three licensed contractors.
- Check the license at www.roc.az.gov using the free contractor search and make sure it is current on the day you sign the contract.
- Don’t let a door-to-door solicitor talk you into taking action without doing your research.
- Don’t pay in cash or sign over an insurance check.
When getting estimates or choosing a contractor for a project, always ask if the contractor is licensed and check the license number using the contractor search at www.roc.az.gov, or by giving the Agency a call at 1-877-692-9762 (1-877-MY-AZROC).