FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, June 11, 2020
Breanna Bang, Public Information Liaison
Avoid Contracting Scams During Monsoon Season
PHOENIX, Ariz., (June 11, 2020) - Monsoon season is right around the corner and the Arizona Registrar of Contractors (AZ ROC) urges homeowners to prepare for monsoon season by educating themselves on how to avoid contracting scams.
Arizona’s monsoon season officially begins on June 15, 2020, and each year a number of homes and properties across the state are damaged during severe storms.
When disasters strike, some individuals target unsuspecting homeowners. They will often push homeowners to believe that repairs, real or not, are needed urgently or that the price will go up if the homeowner chooses to wait.
Homeowners should never make a hurried decision about their home, however.
To avoid falling prey to a second disaster, damaged homeowners should only hire licensed contracting professionals to work on their property.
Other tips include:
- Ensure you understand the scope of the project and what is entailed.
- Get estimates from at least three licensed contractors.
- Check the license at www.roc.az.gov using the free contractor search and make sure it is current on the day you sign the contract.
- Don’t make hurried decisions about your home or property.
- Don’t let a door-to-door solicitor talk you into taking action without doing your research.
- Don’t pay in cash or sign over an insurance check.
When getting estimates or choosing a contractor for a project, always ask if the contractor is licensed and check the license number using the contractor search at www.roc.az.gov, or by giving the Agency a call at 1-877-692-9762 (1-877-MY-AZROC).